World class jiu-jitsu black belt, ADCC and IBJJF World champion Rodolfo Vieira made quick work of his MMA debut on Saturday February 12, with a first round submission win over Zarylbek Daniyar of Kyrgyzstan.
Fighting on an MMA event called Arzalat in Sao Paulo, Brazil, Vieira appeared in the main event versus the 1-1 Kyrgyz fighter.
Working behind a jab, Vieira felt out the opening minutes of the round before hitting a lightning-quick takedown near the fence. A few slick transitions from knee-ride to mount gave him positional dominance. Some soft strikes forced Daniyar to turn, exposing the fighting-ending rear naked choke at 2.27.
Cornered by his original jiu-jitsu coach Julio Cesar Pereira of GF Team and his head MMA coach Ricardo Liborio of American Top Team, Vieira looked comfortable and confident in his first outing in the ring.
▼11th Match▼ Light Heavy Weight 89.0kg – 93.5kg ⚪︎Rodolfo Vieira＜Brazil＞ VS ⚫︎Daniiar Zarylbek Uluru＜Kirghiz＞ スリーパーホールド 2'27 pic.twitter.com/xvZgE6z6ku
Holy Smokes This Is A Great Body Triangle Counter!
This is a move that I have held onto forever and rarely show anyone! WHY? Well it’s a funny story but years ago when I was a purple belt teaching BJJ a blue belt came to my class visiting from out of state. After class we grappled and I got his back and threw on my signature body triangle. Within a few seconds I was astounded when I was forced to tap to a foot lock! Immediately I was like, “what just happened?!” He showed me how he caught me and I never forgot that move. Over the years I rarely ever shared this simple little counter submission. WHY? Everytime…and I mean every time I show someone this move I inadvertantly get submitted with it. So for as lone as I can remember I never have showed it…let alone put it on video for the world!!! So here it is at last…. By the way, why am I putting it out now? Because it (like all “my” Jiu-Jitsu) was never for me to keep in the first place… Jiu-Jitsu is meant to be shared. OSS! – Mike Bidwell
Conor McGregor Wrecks $275,000 Car And Walks Away Uninjured!
Remember this infamous “WTF” photo of Conor McGregor and his new gift (a $275,000 lime green lambo)?
Apparently whatever drugs he must have been on to take that photo caused him to destroy that very same car. Fortunately Conor was able to escape injury free.
An eyewitness stated that the car hit a speed bump and then ran into a pole. They were surprised to see Conor McGregor emerge from the car without a scratch. Police arrived on the scene and verified that Conor was not under the influence.
(Floyd Mayweather, left, who turns 40 in February, is willing to come out of retirement to face the UFC fighter Conor McGregor. Composite: Action Images & Getty Images)
Floyd Mayweather Offers New Terms To Fight Conor McGregor
Floyd Mayweather has said he will come out of retirement to fight Conor McGregor but only if he gets paid $100m (£82m) and the Irish UFC star is prepared to take a career-high $15m (£12m), plus a minor slice of the pay-per-view revenue.
Meanwhile, the 38-year-old Manny Pacquiao, who had been hoping for a rematch with Mayweather, has agreed to defend his WBO welterweight title against a little-known Queensland schoolteacher, Jeff Horn, in Brisbane in April, according to unconfirmed reports in Australia. It is part of a three-fight farewell Pacquiao’s promoter, Bob Arum, is organising for the Filipino senator.
It is the Mayweather-McGregor fight that would create the substantially bigger buzz, however, which says much about the state of boxing and the rise of mixed martial arts. Regardless of the fact it would be a mismatch, it still might be the richest fight in either fighting discipline in 2017.
Mayweather, who turns 40 next month and retired undefeated in September 2015, has teased his fans for months with the prospect of having one more fight to match the 50-0 record of Rocky Marciano.
In an exclusive interview with ESPN, the American said: “I’m saying right here: Conor McGregor keeps telling everybody he wants the fight – let’s make it hap
“We tried to make the fight. They know what my number is. My number was a guaranteed $100m. We’re the A-side and I don’t know how much money he has made? I’m pretty sure he hasn’t even made $10m from an MMA bout. But we are willing to give him $15m and then we can talk about splitting the percentage, the back-end percentage on pay-per view.
“But of course we’re the A-side. How can a guy talk about $20m or $30m if he’s never even made $8m or $9m [for one fight]?”
In his penultimate appearance in May 2015, Mayweather split a record $340m purse 60/40 with Pacquiao and boosted his take to an estimated $300m with his share of the pay-per-view. However, the cachet of both champions has faded and Mayweather has little or no interest in a rematch. Given the reaction to a bout that inevitably disappointed after serial postponements over five years, neither is there a great hunger for it among boxing fans.
“The only thing I’m probably interested in,” Mayweather added, “is the Conor McGregor fight. I’m a businessman, and it makes more business sense.”
McGregor, who recently acquired a boxing licence in California, has yet to respond
Sick And Rare Rickson Gracie BJJ Footage From The 1980’s
Rickson Gracie, son of Helio Gracie, was born into Brazilian jiu-jitsu. At the age of four years he began competing; at 15 he started to teach it; and at 18 he received his black belt. At 20, Gracie won his first victory against the famous 230-pound (104 kg) Brazilian brawler Rei Zulu (father of Zuluzinho). With this victory, Rickson gained immediate national acclaim. Five years later Zulu requested a rematch and lost to Rickson again, in Maracanazinho before an audience of 20,000 spectators.
Check Out Demian Maia On The Latest Grappling Central Podcast!
In this episode, we are joined by arguably the greatest representative of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in MMA, Demain Maia. Demian talks about why he quit Kung Fu as a teen to start BJJ, funny stories from the mats and his excitement for a Welterweight title shot!
What a change a few months can make. When the UFC sale was revealed following UFC 200, one of the big things the UFC made sure to do was lock down Joe Rogan’s continued participation as color commentator for another year, ensuring the voices behind the fights wouldn’t change with the new ownership. But now that WME-IMG’s plans to try and increase TV deal revenues by over 300% are starting to become clear, it seems like they don’t feel like he’s an essential part of the product.
Longtime cable television insider Dave Meltzer has reported that many aspects of UFC shows may change. WME-IMG is willing to hand control of production (currently taken care of in-house by the UFC) over to whatever network wins the next TV deal. And that means Mike Goldberg and Joe Rogan may go.
They certainly are hype masters. You can’t watch a commercial for an upcoming UFC event without Joe Rogan screaming in excitement and Goldberg catchphrases all over the place. But is that such a bad thing? We’ve experienced other networks handling MMA production duties in the past, and I have yet to witness anyone doing it better than the UFC. As homogeneous as the shows may have become, there’s something to be said about the way the company keeps the trains running on time. And it’s nice to have a commentary booth devoid of clueless chucklehead announcers who don’t know the sport (I’m looking at you, Gus Johnson).
This isn’t a matter of WME-IMG just having a hate on for the job Goldberg and Rogan do, though. The whole thing has a lot to do with money. They just paid $4.3 billion for the company, and they need to start making some of that back, fast. We’ve already seen them wipe out a huge section of UFC staff, including most of their international offices. Next up is the in house production team. While letting the networks handle things means less control, it also means big savings, and that’s clearly what the new owners are looking for as they prepare to sort out future TV rights for the sport.